TRICARE Options NG - Reserve

TRICARE News Release

 As the family member of a National Guard or Reserve member, your TRICARE options may change throughout the course of your sponsor’s career.  Your TRICARE eligibility depends on your sponsor’s military status. If your sponsor’s status ever changes from inactive to either, pre-activation, active duty, or deactivation, your TRICARE options will vary. 


The first step in your family gaining TRICARE eligibility, is for your sponsor to register all eligible family members in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) in person, at a uniformed services identification (ID) card issuing facility and provide the required documentation; also when making changes with the family’s composition (i.e. marriage, birth, death, divorce).  Updating personal information such as address, email addresses or phone numbers can be done by logging into MilConnect at, calling 1-800-538-9552 (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883), faxing updates to 1-831-655-8317, or mailing updates to Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office:

          Attn: COA
          400 Gigling Road
          Seaside, CA  93955-6771
          Note: Addresses must be a physical address; P.O. boxes can't be used.

For more information on DEERS and to keep your contact information up to date, visit

If your sponsor is issued a delayed-effective-date active-duty order in support of a contingency operation for more than 30 consecutive days (pre-activation status), eligible family members may receive the same TRICARE benefits as active duty family members under Early Eligibility. TRICARE Standard coverage is automatically provided to those registered in DEERS. No enrollment is necessary! TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Prime Remote Active Duty Family Member (TPRADFM), TRICARE Young Adult and the US Family Health Plan are also available based on eligibility and/or geographical location. These programs require enrollment. Your family keeps active duty benefits when your sponsor transitions to active duty. 

When your sponsor is deactivated, your family may qualify for either the Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) or the Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP).  TAMP is available to eligible Guard/Reserve members that served more than 30 consecutive days in support of a contingency operation, and offers 180 days of transitional health care benefits to service members and their families. Under TAMP, TPRADFM is not available. Visit to learn more about TAMP. CHCBP is similar to COBRA health coverage, and CHCBP eligibility begins the day after you lose active duty TRICARE coverage or TAMP coverage ends.  You must enroll in CHCBP within 60 days of losing TRICARE eligibility and pay quarterly premiums. Visit to learn more about CHCBP.

While your sponsor is inactive, he or she may qualify to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) coverage. TRS is a great option for your family if your sponsor is a member of the Selected Reserve and is not eligible for or enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program. TRS provides comprehensive health care coverage and allows you to see any TRICARE authorized provider. Visit to learn about TRS. Your sponsor may qualify to purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR) coverage for your family upon entering the Retired Reserves and is under the age of 60.  Visit to learn more about TRR.

Families of National Guard and Reserve members may also be eligible for the TRICARE Dental Program (TDP).  Enrollment in TDP is voluntary, and your premiums are based on your sponsor’s status.  To see if TDP is right for you, visit  To maintain continuous healthcare coverage when your sponsor’s status changes you will need to purchase/enroll by the specific deadlines specified by your respective health plans. To verify your eligibility and learn more about your benefits as the family member of a National Guard or Reserve member please visit