50 U. S. Code Appendix
War and National Defense Act
Oct 17, 1940, CH. 888, 54 STAT. 1178
501. Short title.
Article I - General Provisions
510. Purpose; suspension of enforcement of civil liabilities.
512. Territorial application; jurisdiction of courts; form of procedure.
513. Protection of persons secondarily liable.
514. Extension of benefits to citizens serving with forces of war allies.
515. Notice of benefits to persons in and persons entering military service.
516. Extension of benefits to persons ordered to report for induction or military service.
517. Effect on rights, remedies, etc., pursuant to written agreements entered after commencement of military service.
518. Exercise of rights under Act not to affect certain future financial transactions.
Article II - General Relief
520. Default judgments; affidavits; bonds; attorneys for persons in service.
521. Stay of proceedings where military service affects conduct thereof.
522. Fines and penalties on contracts, etc.
523. Stay or vacation of execution of judgments, attachments, etc.
524. Duration and term of stays; codefendants not in service.
525. Statutes of limitations as affected by period of service.
526. Maximum rate of interest.
527. Limitations prescribed by internal revenue laws as affected by period of service.
Article III - Rent, Installment Contracts, Mortgages, Liens, Assignments,
530. Eviction or distress during military service; stay; penalty for noncompliance; allotment of pay for payment.
531. Installment contracts for purchase of property.
532. Mortgages, trust deeds, etc.
533. Settlement of cases involving stayed proceedings to foreclose mortgage on, resume possession of, or terminate contract for purchase of, personal property.
534. Termination of leases by lessees.
535. Protection of assignor of life insurance policy; enforcement of storage liens; penalties.
536. Extension of benefits to dependents.
Article IV - Insurance
541. Persons entitled to benefits of article; applications; amount of insurance protected.
542. Form of application; reports to Secretary of Veterans Affairs by insurer; policy deemed modified upon application for protection.
543. Determination of policies entitled to protection; notice to parties; lapse of policies for nonpayment of premiums, etc.
544. Rights and privileges of insured during period of protection.
545. Deduction of unpaid premiums upon settlement of policies maturing during protection.
546. Guaranty of premiums and interest by United States; settlement of amounts due upon expiration of protection; subrogation of United States; crediting debt repayments.
547. Regulations; finality of determinations.
548 to 554. Repealed or Omitted.
Article V - Taxes and Public Lands
560. Taxes respecting personalty, money, credits, or realty; sale of property to enforce collection; redemption of property sold; penalty for nonpayment; notice of rights to beneficiaries of section.
561. Rights to public lands not forfeited; grazing lands.
562. Homestead entries and settlement claims; service as equivalent to residence and cultivation.
563. Death or incapacity during or resulting from service as affecting rights; perfection of rights.
564. Desert-land entries; suspension of requirements.
565. Mining claims; requirements suspended.
566. Mineral permits and leases; suspension of operations and term of permits and leases.
567. Right to take action for perfection, defense, etc., of rights as unaffected; affidavits and proofs.
568. Irrigation rights; residence requirements suspended.
569. Distribution of information concerning benefits of article; forms.
570. Homestead entrymen permitted to leave entries to perform farm labor.
571. Land rights of persons under 21.
572. Extension of benefits to persons serving with war allies of United States.
573. Income taxes; collection deferred; interest; statute of limitations.
574. Residence for tax purposes.
Article VI - Administrative Remedies
580. Transfers to take advantage of act.
581. Certificates of service; persons reported missing.
582. Revocation, etc., of interlocutory orders.
584. Termination date.
Article VII - Further Relief
590. Stay of enforcement of obligations, liabilities, taxes, etc.
591. Power of attorney.
(a) Extension for period person in missing status.
(b) Limitation on extension.
(c) Persons subject to coverage.
592. Professional liability protection for certain persons ordered to active duty in armed forces.
(b) Suspension of coverage.
(c) Reinstatement of coverage.
(d) Increase in premium.
(e) Continuation of coverage of unaffected persons.
(f) Stay of civil or administrative actions.
(g) Effect of suspension upon limitations period.
(h) Death during period of suspension.
593. Reinstatement of health insurance coverage upon release from service.
(a) Right to reinstatement of coverage.
(b) Exclusion or waiting period.
(c) Employer-offered insurance benefits.
EXTENSION OF BENEFITS TO INDUCTEES UNDER UNIVERSAL MILITARY TRAINING AND SERVICE ACT
The benefits of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940 (see section 501 of this Appendix) are extended to inductees under the Universal Military Training and Service Act by section 464 of this Appendix.
SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS' CIVIL RELIEF ACT OF 1918
Former provisions on this subject were contained in act Mar. 8, 1918, ch. 20, 40 Stat. 440, known as the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1918, section 101 et seq. of this Appendix.
Sec. 501. Short title
This Act (sections 501 to 593 of this Appendix) may be cited as the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act of 1940.
SOURCE- (Oct. 17, 1940, ch. 888, Sec. 1, 54 Stat. 1178.)
SHORT TITLE OF 1991 AMENDMENT
Pub. L. 102-12, Sec. 1, Mar. 18, 1991, 105 Stat. 34, provided that: ''This Act (enacting sections 518, 592, and 593 of this Appendix, amending sections 511 to 513, 515, 516, 525, 526, 530 to 532, 534, 535, 540 to 545, 547, 564 to 567, 570, 574, 580, 581, 584, and 591 of this Appendix and sections 2021 and 2024 of Title 38, Veterans' Benefits, repealing section 548 of this Appendix, and enacting provisions set out as notes under sections 521 and 530 of this Appendix and sections 2021 and 2024 of Title 38) may be cited as the 'Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act Amendments of 1991'.''
SHORT TITLE OF 1942 AMENDMENT
Act Oct. 6, 1942, ch. 581, Sec. 1, 56 Stat. 769, provided: ''That this Act (enacting sections 514 to 517, 526, 533 to 536, 574, and 590 of this Appendix and amending sections 513, 525, 530 to 532, 540 to 548, 560, 569, and 572 of this Appendix) may be cited as the 'Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act Amendments of 1942'.''
MilitaryWives.com, Incorporated, it owners, officers, or shareholders are NOT attorneys. This information is presented ONLY for reference. You should perform your own research for the current version of the information.
Although deemed reliable, changes do occur therefore MilitaryWives.com, Incorporated, it owners, officers, or shareholders strongly advise you to seek the advice of counsel prior to applying any of the information contained within these pages.